- A current Linux distribution (in a very basic configuration)
- A pure Docker environment for all functionality: Nginx, Mastodon, Postgres, Redis, backup, email, cert management, cron, container management, performance monitoring, test environment, etc.
- Text and appearance modifications are applied to the official Mastodon image to meet the needs of RCsocial.net
- AWS S3 for media storage
- Backblaze B2 for archival storage
- Mailgun for transactional email
- Fast Presence for this User Guide
- dedicated KVM based VPS
- 16GB reserved ECC RAM
- RAID-10 SSD storage
- Xeon E5/Gold CPUs
- resilient networking
- high availability data center
Planning your own instance?
Mastodon documentation encourages folks to launch their own instances and generously makes all code available. However, the process to launch an instance is more involved than simply following a few steps or making a few clicks to get it going. You will not succeed unless you have prerequisite technical skills in Linux system administration. Customization beyond the basics will also require serious developer skills.
As an alternative, you may wish to consider managed Mastodon hosting offered by mastohost.